Wednesday, February 15, 2012

First Impressions of Japan



My first impressions of Japan were somewhat what I had imagined. However, this is my first study abroad so this was also my first time living alone without knowing anyone besides a selected few. I commute from home to my university have a good group of friends, so my main concern was being totally independent of myself without my family physically being here, as well as the usual making friends. Japan had met my expectations but also surprised me as the days went by. I had experienced a bit of Japan back in America, by trying Japanese food, taking Japanese history classes and learning the culture through media and friends. I could call my early interest in Japan my preparation for when I actually visited Japan, but I would underestimate myself. Even with my open mind for food and respect for the traditions of different cultures, I am still in awe about living in such an amazing country. One impression that struck me came up when I was coming home from Tokyo via Shinkansen. I had spent the weekend there, mainly to attend an academic lunch meeting but also to sightsee and spend time with my friend who recently graduated from my school. As the bullet train sped through the country side, I noticed this strange balance of old and new. The people have a history that’s centuries old and hold on to their traditions of their ancestors. The people can live in modern day Tokyo, where shopping and electronics reign on the streets and where a bullet train can take them to historical Kyoto in only a few hours. The trains pass through the country, where even with a future driven outlook, are still on a cash based society. This balance of tradition and modern, a look to the future and a hold on the past, really defines a part of the Japanese society. As an American born Filipino, I hold on  to the customs that my mom passed onto me as well as the current traditions of American society. I was always fascinated by what the founding fathers had believed in freedom but also grimace at our slavery past. We learn from our mistakes and we must remember them in order to move forward. But I think there’s a difference in holding on to the past and staying in the mindset of the past. So my first true impression of Japan is that holding on to customs of the past as well as looking forward to the future helps shape the society as a whole.



1 comment:

  1. The fact that old and new stand side by side struck me as fascinating when I first came to Japan as well. I hope you will have opportunities to explore this theme more fully. I look forward to your future posts.

    Please change the default language to English. And you might consider moving the disclaimer to somewhere else in the blog layout. You are also missing a photo in this post - remember you are to post at least two original photos each time.

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License