Friday, May 18, 2012

The end of an era

It was weird once the month of May had begun, as it was easier to tell how many days away until I went home. Part of me wishes I had a few more weeks here, even if I'm alone, to just enjoy more of Kansai. With that in mind, I also wish I had enough money to be able to live here after the semester ends, which is why I'm leaving at the last possible date. In a way, I'm not too sad to leave Japan because I'm making the effort to work here in the future, if not visit. I think the only thing that really makes me sad is knowing that I won't see many of my friends ever again and that I will never have an experience of studying abroad at this time and age ever again.

There are many things that I experienced in these past four months. It's true when you study abroad that you know who your true friends are by who keeps in contact with you while you are away. I had been a commuter while I was in school back at home so not only studying abroad but living on my own was a big change as well. I suddenly experienced everything that my friends at home had experienced during their first year at college. But  being away had also put a strain on some relationships that I had, with friends and family. Being away for so long in the beginning, you forget about many things back at home that it almost seems like another planet away. As the days get closer to my departure, I am slowly retaining all those memories, sights, and sounds from home. As much as I want to stay, right now I just can't wait to go home.

I'm still amazed by Japan's traditional culture in a modern society. For some Americans, we don't have a very exciting history to begin with and the traditional roots that we stand by are not as much cultural but more on ideas of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. In Japan, the culture focuses on the tradition and history of the country.

Shinto and Buddhist shrines play a big role in this as well, as golden week brings many Japanese to visit temples and shrines.



With Japan having the 3rd largest economy in the world, it may seem like a surprise that most Japanese people use a bike as their main mode of transportation. There isn't one Japanese person that I could assume that has never used the train to commute to work or school. I'm even amazed that there are students in Kansai Gaidai that commute two hours on a train alone.





I think the thing I will miss most about Japan is the people. Their kindness and way of life have really influenced and inspired me during my stay here and it's my intention to hopefully keep what I have learned when I return home. I will definitely miss the food especially, it's doing wonders losing some weight and gaining some muscle from walking and biking everywhere. I will especially miss talking in Japanese everyday. While I could do that at home, I'm afriad I might seem a bit odd without anyone else talking back. This trip was really life changing for me and probably the best place to be at 20 years old. I hope that when I do return, all this nostalgia will come back to me but for now, 日本,またね!



1 comment:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License